12 Places to Visit Before Your Child Turns 12
Reposted from MomLifeTV:
Turning 12 is as exciting as it is exhilarating. This is the last year most children can be considered kids before they dive into the crazy hormone induced teenage world. So, before your child hits the big 1-2, add these 12 places to their list of must sees – while they still think hanging out with you is cool!
For the Educator
Educational places tend to have a bad rap of being a snore fest. But, these two places will get your child’s mind jumping and spark their curiosity.
- The Liberty Science Center – Located in Jersey City, New Jersey, the Liberty Science Center is an interactive science based museum. There are amazing exhibits like the ‘Infection Connection’ and the largest skyscraper exhibit in the world, ‘Skyscraper! Achievement and Impact.’
Photo by Bernadette Marciniak via Wikimedia Commons
- Statue of Liberty — New York City. Sounds simple, right! It is a large green statue given to the U.S. by the French. Well, ordinary transforms into extraordinary when your child ends up 305 feet in the air at the tippity top of the green lady’s crown.
Photo by William Warby via Wikimedia Commons
For the Animal Lover
Who doesn’t love to look at the cute, cuddly animals at the zoo? Or maybe your family prefers to marvel at enormous beluga whales swirling behind a glass window. These two animal adventures will satisfy the animal lover in the whole gang.
- The Georgia Aquarium — This is the world’s largest aquarium, therefore it is almost guaranteed to please. The Georgia Aquarium houses more than 120,000 animals and 8.5 million gallons of water, so your little animal lover will be among their fair share of underwater friends. You can even pet a stingray!
Photo by Zac Wolf via Wikimedia Commons
- The Bronx Zoo – This iconic zoo is well known for its appearance in the Pixar film Madagascar. While the movie was a beautiful depiction of the world’s largest metropolitan zoo, there is nothing like experiencing the 4,000 wild animals for yourself! It is literally a must-see before you turn preteen turns 12.
Photo by Postdlf via Wikimedia Commons
For the Nature Lover
America is full of beautiful parks, lakes and beaches and the adventures that accompany them. It is almost a requirement to see at least a handful of them before your child’s 12th birthday.
- Wisconsin Dells — Often cited one of the top family vacation destinations, the Wisconsin Dells are stuffed with family-friendly activities and excursions for every season.
Photo by Douglas Coulter via Flickr
- Central Park – Central Park in New York City is one of the most well known parks on the east coast. It has more than 250 acres of lawns, 24,000 trees and 150 acres of lakes and streams. The park calendar is crammed with events like fishing, birding and plays. There is something for every member of the family.
Photo by scripting news via Flickr
For the Foodie
Why wait until your kid is a teenager to expose the wonderful world of new and exciting food? Check out these cool places for your mini foodie.
- M&M World – What kid doesn’t love candy and what person doesn’t absolutely adore chocolate? This is why M&M World is a must see. This deliciously sweet factory is three floors of kitchenware, apparel and of course M&Ms in every color possible plus three seasonal flavors. They even have customized printer to make special M&M candies with your initials on them!
Photo by Sean MacEntee via Flickr
- Annual San Francisco Food Festival – In its fifth year, the SFFF is foodie heaven! You can try specialty foods like fried mac-and-cheese to vegan delights! Your soon-to-be teen will build quite a taste palate after this experience.
Photo by kennejima via Flickr
For the History Buff
Ever wonder what it was like to live during the medieval times? Or maybe during the civil war? These two places are action-packed, and so much fun your child won’t even realize how much they are learning!
- Medieval Times – Get ready to exit 2013 and land right into the 12th century. Complete with a jousting tournament and a four course meal, the Medieval Times is perfect for the history buff in anyone! With several locations across the U.S., you won’t have to travel far to reach King Arthur’s kingdom.
Photo by Experience Kissimmee, Florida via Flickr
- Jamestown Settlement – Step into the humble beginnings of America during the 17th century. Your family can walk on the massive ships that brought settlers from England to the shores of Virginia and learn about the Powhatan Indians that inhabited America, while having a great time at the Jamestown Settlement & Yorktown Victory Center.
Photo by imarcc via Flickr
Just for the Kids
When your kid wants to do something that is just for pure enjoyment, these places will satiate that need. Designed to please all children, it is practically impossible for them to not enjoy themselves.
- LEGOLAND – San Diego. That’s right! There is a place just for all things Legos. The California LEGOLAND is 128 acres of hands on fun. There are family rides, an aquarium and water park!
Photo by Ayleen Gaspar via Flickr
- Disney World — Orlando, Florida As an adult, your son or daughter will look back on their childhood and remember all the memories created by iconic Disney movies. It is only right to see those movies come to life at Disney World. This expansive park will leave both you and your kid believing in magic!
Photo by hyku via Flickr
About MomLifeTV: MomLifeTV.com offers essential information on pregnancy, family, relationships, healthy living, nutrition, education, travel, entertainment, shopping and more. Find out more: www.MomLifeTV.com.